Car Wreck in West Columbia?
WHAT TO DO AFTER A CAR WRECK IN WEST COLUMBIA?
It is entirely understandable to be unsure of what to do after a car wreck in West Columbia. Auto accidents can be traumatic, and the victim’s injuries and post-collision trauma often make decision-making challenging. Even a tiny mistake can negatively affect a personal injury claim and lower its value significantly. However, taking the proper steps can assist a plaintiff in building a stronger case against the defendant.
Burnside Law Firm’s top-rated car accident attorneys in West Columbia will help you easily navigate through the complexities of a personal injury claim. In this article, our experienced attorneys advise what vital steps victims can take to protect their rights following a car crash in West Columbia.
Steps To Take After A West Columbia Car Wreck
The defendant’s insurance company will utilize every tactic to deny or lower the claim value. Following the below-listed steps can put innocent plaintiffs in the best position to recover the compensation they rightfully deserve.
- Call the police: It is imperative to notify the police promptly. Police will investigate the possible cause of the crash and keep track of all the evidence collected at the scene, including pictures of the crash site, witness details, details about the vehicles involved, and other vital information. This police accident report can be crucial evidence for your personal injury claim.
- Note down at-fault driver’s details: Write down the name, contact details, insurance policy information, driver’s license number, and license plate number of the other driver.
- Check for injuries and seek medical attention: Even a minor car crash can cause serious injuries. Thus, our expert car accident lawyers always advise our clients to seek medical attention even if there are no apparent signs of injuries. Having your injuries evaluated by a health professional ensures that you were treated even if some injury symptoms take days to manifest. Medical reports can assist your attorney in holding the responsible party accountable for your subsequent medical expenses.
- Gather all evidence: Document the situation to prepare the ground for your case while waiting for the police. Take pictures of the vehicles, including any damage and any injuries you may have. Your attorney may need these in the future. Look around for any traffic cameras that may have recorded the crash. Lastly, look for other motorists or pedestrians who may have witnessed the collision and take their contact details.
- Decline giving statements: Limit your conversation with the other driver or the insurance provider out of courtesy or concern. Don’t apologize, accept fault, or sign any documents unless they are from the police or your insurance company.
- Contact a qualified car accident attorney: Insurance adjusters do not always have your best interests in mind. Contacting a skilled car accident lawyer immediately after the crash won’t allow the insurance company to exploit your situation.
Hurt in a West Columbia car crash? Call us for help!
If you or your loved one suffered injuries in a car crash due to someone else’s negligence, we are here for help. Burnside Law Firm’s seasoned car accident attorneys by your side can considerably improve your chances of obtaining a fair settlement for your damages. Call us for a free consultation at (803) 619-5430.